Saturday, September 07, 2013

The days, before my nuptial.



            For Indians, marriage is as much a celebration for the couple, it's also an event to bring the extended family together, to mingle, muddle, fight and make promises to observe a more conducive relationship in future. Amongst all this chaos... my parents house, lights up like a christmas tree, every evening, broadcasting the event to all the neighbors. 

              The past few days have been hectic, with all the "stuff" that needs to bought, packaged and used appropriately for a wedding, following certain local/foreign customs. BTW, I really don't understand any of them or the need for all the fanfare. I assume, customs were made available previously, since there were no governing bodies like the judicial system to preside over the wedding and elders & certain order of events were the only witness to the marriage. Their council would be requested, in case of trouble with the marriage or anything related to that matter.

                I am called the "mapplai" in my local dialect, a phrase denoting the groom. So everyone goes "congrats mapplai". If it were any other sane person, I assume they would be extremely ecstatic, but I am more like "Hmm.... thanks. But I am already married to her". Well... I skipped the part of us getting our first marriage, civil marriage a few days earlier.

            Even though it's an arranged marriage, we have been in touch for sometime after the initial introduction by our parents. Our communication was sporadic at first, periodic later with alternate days, then daily and at present, a never ending banter. It seems that we have always been friends and this event culminates our friendship to the next strata. "Mine" changed to "ours", way before the official engagement took place and so, No jitters, no butterflies in the stomach, no second thoughts, but just stage fright. And I hope, even that will dissipate, once I get onto the stage, cause I am doing this for the first time and I am planning on doing it, for the only time(It's not if, but when she is reading this, for her: "Do you understand that?"). So this marriage, at least in our perspective, is for the family, to observe customs and we get to have a free ride in the ordered chaos, called the "The Indian Wedding".

             Today is the big day, when I take my wife, to be my lawfully wedded wife again. But this time, in front of all my relatives, inline with local customs.

On a funny note....

Source: Grabbed this online. do not hold copyright of this image.


TL;DR - I am getting married on September 8th, 2013.

-Alphonse
















   


2 comments:

Kasturi said...

congrats mapplai

Sandheep said...

congrats homes...