Sunday, August 19, 2007

My Computer HACKED!!

Have you ever faced a situation,when you PC becomes really sluggish,while accessing the network and you wonder what program was consuming so much CPU.you find that there are hardly two browsers open and the most CPU intensive program that was run,was in my brain trying to figure out,what the heck was happenin with my PC??

Then realization sets in,some one or some thing is accessing my PC :( .I do not know,how to trace the origin as to ,who was doing this but I had the presence of mind to go offline immediately.once I did that my computer just froze for sometime and returned to normalcy.Phew man I am glad that i do not use Internet banking and stuff that involves money,since I am wary person.

Now I had to find out,if the program still remained on my hard drive to intiate the activity again,if I went online.So I ran my antivirus and found some malicious program running on my PC.I did not have a firewall,so it is easy for even a rookie to access my PC.Man am I dumb?

Have to disable all the ports on my PC,else I am in for trouble.

I assumed that my PC was safe to a certain extent,since my IP cannot be seen on the public Network.NAT(Network Address Translation)Check out more info on this site http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Network_address_translation It has to do with exhaustion of IPv4 addresses and security stuff.So unless I initiate the connection ,the hacker would not have been able to access my PC,so I must have accessed some site or a pop up ,for this to happen.


check out this site http://www.auditmypc.com ,on how to find your private ipaddrees,even if you are behind a firewall(badly configured)

So I am still thinking,how should I go ahead with this.try to setup a firewall on my PC,or find something else....

So long,I reckoned,it would not happen to me,but now,It has happened to me....

No comments: